The Library was originally named the Kaohsiung State Public Education Center and was located at the foot Shoushan. The building was destroyed by bombing during World War 2 along with most of the book collection. The library reopened in 1945 in rented premises on Gushan 1st Rd. after the Liberation with a meager collection of around 400 Japanese books. In 1949, the library moved to Jhongjheng 4th Rd. and was renamed the Kaohsiung City Jhongshan Library. In April, 1954, the new library building was completed at No. 39 Minsheng 2nd Rd. and was formally named the Kaohsiung Public Library.
Kaohsiung City became a municipality in July, 1978. The city, population, readership and collection were all growing rapidly, so the old premises became inadequate. The Public Activity Center at No. 80 Minsheng 2nd Rd. was therefore chosen as the new site. The library moved to the new site in August, 1981, and this remains in use to this day.
After the amalgamation of the city and county on December 25, 2010, the Library now consists of the following 60 libraries: Kaohsiung Cultural Center Branch, Kaohsiung Literature Library, Gushan Branch, Cijin Branch, Youchang Branch, Zuoying Branch, Sanmin Branch, Sinsing Branch (incl. Sinsing Reading Room), Yancheng Branch, Cianjhen Branch, Nangushan Branch, Cueiping Branch, Lingya Branch, Yanming Branch, Nanzihkeng Branch, Zuoxin Branch, Baoju Branch, Siaogang Branch, Toy for Children's Library, Dadong Library (planned), Gangshan Cultural Center Branch, Gangshan Branch, Yanchao Branch, Ciaotou Branch, Zihguan Branch, Zihguan Chihdong Branch, Mituo Branch, Mituo Park Branch, Yong-an Branch, Cieding Branch, Lujhu Branch, Hu-nei Branch, A-Lian Branch, Tianliao Branch, Fongshan Branch, Fongshan 2nd Branch, Fongshan Caogong Branch, Dashu Branch, Dashu 2nd Branch, Dashu 3rd Branch, Chengguan Branch (planned), Dashe Branch, Niasong Branch, Daliao Branch, Linyuan Branch, Linyuan 2nd Branch, Cishan Branch, Meinong Branch, Jiasian Branch, Neimen Branch, Neimen Neipu Branch, Neimen Mujha Branch, Neimen Gouping Branch, Shanlin Branch, Maolin Branch, Liouguei Branch, Namasia Branch, Taoyuan Branch, Fongshan S. Y. S. Memorial Library, Renwu Branch.
- Issuance of Library Card
All ROC citizens may apply for a library card, bringing their Household Register or relevant identification documents. The library card is an all-in-one and multitask card. Cardholders are eligible for services of all branch libraries in the City, library of National Chiang Kai Shek Cultural Center and library of the Open University of Kaohsiung (Public Section). The card shall be verified every six years.
- Borrowing and Returning Books
(1) Each cardholder may borrow up to 5 books, 2 out-of-date periodicals and 2 pieces of audio/visual information for a loaning period of 28 days (no renewal service).
(2) Books/information overdue for 3 days or above will be stopped from circulating for the number of days based on the overdue days.
(3) On national holidays or the library holidays, readers may make use of the holiday book drop for returning books.
- Reservation Service
For checked-out books, citizens may use the book reservation service on the Internet or by filling in a form. When the book is returned, library staff will inform the reader by phone or e-mail to pick up the book.
- Inter-libraries Loan Service
In order to facilitate citizens borrowing books/information of other branch libraries at a nearby branch (excluding periodicals), they may make request at any reading institution of the municipal library in person, by phone, fax, e-mail or online application, etc. However, this service is not available to readers with overdue books/information or rule-breaking records.
E-Services via Internet
- The library website (http://www.ksml.edu.tw/) is available in Chinese, English and children versions. It provides the activities notice, databases, library catalog access, etc.
- The inter-libraries collaboration system website at http://ill.stic.gov.tw, readers may make online application for inter-libraries copying or borrowing materials held in other branches.
- The Reference Enquiry System provides online literature forwarding service. Citizens may raise questions about references through the Internet, staff at the Reference Section will help answer the questions or provide referral service, and forward messages to the readers as an attachment.
- The social education website at http://www.social.ksml.edu.tw incorporates all recreational, artistic and cultural activities by various social education organizations in Kaohsiung City for enquiry and online application, enquiry for venue renting/borrowing status and application form download service.
- A webpage holding overseas study information is built, and oversea study information area is set up at Baoju Library to provide references and information service about overseas study.
- A Joint Catalog Search System for Kaohsiung region is instituted to include websites of all public libraries and colleges' and universities' libraries in Kaohsiung , in order to facilitate readers' search for book titles or information.
- Provide e-books, e-journals website for the public's search and reading.
- Information Search Area is set up at the Main Library and branch libraries with the base for wireless communication constructed. Quick and convenient information search service is provided in this way.
Book Recommendation and Donation
- Recommendation form is available at the service counter of all our libraries, which accept recommendation of books. Recommendation may also be made via e-mail to the mailbox of firstname.lastname@example.org, or directly at the "Reader Record of the Public Catalog Access System".
- Donation of books from citizens is accepted at the service counter of the Main Library and all branch libraries. For large quantity donation, the library will be responsible for picking up at donor's home. (Contact no.: 886-7-2728459)
- Organize "love for books" series of activities, library study classes, and the library orientation activities.
- Encourage various sectors in the society to set up reading clubs; lay down the awarding rules for the reading clubs and build the "Internet reading club"; publish the Books Sense Quarterly ( 書香季刊 ) where members of the reading clubs may contribute their written works for publication; and organize the "Reading Club on Air" in collaboration with the broadcasting company.
- Conduct story-telling activities and organize kids' reading club activities at different branch libraries. One bonus point will be given for children joining any one of the library's children activities. Children having collected bonus points may redeem gifts from the library. A maximum of 30 points may be accumulated, for which a certificate will be issued.
- Encourage reading among the youth and promote literature writting ; organize various cultural activities including the "Literature in Campus," literature exhibitions in the Kaohsiung Literature Library and writing courses, etc.; and set up regulations for invitation of literature contribution from the youth, in order to encourage their original literary works (poems, prose, short stories, etc.). Digital files may be submitted to email@example.com, and remuneration will be given for selected works and the works will be published in the library's publication in collaboration with the Urban Spotlight.
- Jhongsing Hall, Exhibition Hall, the main hall at Nanzih Library and main hall at Sanmin Library are all available for holding various cultural activities and exhibitions.
Gazing into futurity
To echo the city government's goal of creating a "healthy city," the library will aim at promoting mental health of the citizens. To create a good reading environment, construct new branch libraries, and try hard to request building of a new main library that is both technologically advanced and humanistic. All these efforts are directed towards building a truly literary city .
- Source: 大東藝術圖書館
- Date: 2012-01-09